[pianotech] Measuring Bass String Lengths

Marc Lanthier (Piano Lanco) info at pianolanco.com
Sun Nov 9 13:51:58 PST 2008

Hi,

What method do you guys recommend for measuring the length of bass strings
in a grand (while still in the piano) in order to have a new set made? Not
with a paper pattern. I've used a measuring tape and a piece of string
around the hitch pin which I marked and then re-measured afterwards....

Also, any rule-of-thumb as to the minimum grand piano size that would
benefit from a computerized rescaling?

thanks

PIANO LANCO
Marc Lanthier