[pianotech] Measuring Bass String Lengths

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 9 14:37:51 PST 2008

Marc,

Any piano, regardless of size, which is worth restringing, will benefit
from scale re-evaluation.  I recommend using a tape with a loop at the
end, such as the ones provided by Arledge or J D Grandt.  Why are you
against paper patterns?  The Arledge method of measuring first and last
monochord, first and last bichord, and making rubbings of the hitch
pin-bridge area and of the agraffe-tuning pin area, has produced
excellent results, with a lot less work or potential for error than
would be involved in measuring every string.

Mike