[pianotech] Beat Speed of 5th Decrease in Treble?

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 04:54:09 PST 2008

John:

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I can't help myself. I do like a challenge. And, I don't
"occasionally go there for a visit". Tuning a well scaled piano is the
exception, not the rule. (The pianos around here are greatly out numbered by
the silos. ;-) ) And as you said before, "But it all begins with the proper
foundation; i.e., the bearing or temperament." I know that when the beat
rate of the M3s have the correct jump across a break, everything else will
be straight forward. I think it is worth the effort to analyse (I hate the
spelling of that word...) the break in a challenging scale.

One easy answer to the 3:2 5th vs 6:4 5th question is to just use 4ths
instead, by tuning an octave up or down when needed. Of course the 5ths
should be listened too also, but can be used as checks rather than tuning
intervals. I find that the "color" of the 5ths is easier for me to hear (and
I believe is more discerning) than a beat rate.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.