[pianotech] Measuring Bass String Lengths

tuner at helmsmusic.net tuner at helmsmusic.net
Mon Nov 10 06:59:58 PST 2008

Hi Marc -

There are several bass string manufacturers who will provide (sometimes
for a small fee) a string ordering kit including a special tape measure
that has a hitch pin loop on the end instead of the traditional hook.
These tape measures already compensate for the length of the hitch pin
loop on the tape, so there's no additional calculation necessary. They
usually are metric, which most manufacturers prefer over decimal
measurements. I know Arledge has them, and I think Mapes might too. Just
call whatever string supplier you intend to use and ask.
--
Scott A. Helms, RPT
Helms Music Enterprises