[pianotech] pinblock fit

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Sun Nov 16 13:23:56 PST 2008

---- Will Truitt <surfdog at metrocast.net> wrote:
> I think the problem is that doing so would make everything a "very solid
> fit".  You could not control the outflow of the epoxy onto the plate and
> tuning pins and elsewhere,  and solidifying them too.

With thick fast setting epoxy, it does not get anywhere close to tuning pins or anything problematic.  Just build a "dam" at the extreme ends of the pinblock if the gap to be filled extends to the ends.

> Plus, if anyone ever tried to replace this pinblock, I'm pretty sure they
> would be cursing you for this "very solid fit" when they tried to remove
> it..

Things may have changed now, but for decades, Baldwin routinely filled with epoxy between the pinblock and plate flange of every new grand built.  They did eventually spray the plate flange with "mold release" to make it easier to remove, should the time come that the pinblock would be removed for replacement.   Even before they started using the mold release, it was not all that difficult to break the epoxy loose from the plate flange.

Frank Emerson