[pianotech] stage truck casters

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Nov 17 21:21:14 PST 2008

> Wowie, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this stage truck under a C6
> at a church.  Does anyone have experience with a truck that uses casters
> with single stems as the means for attaching?  Wouldn't they break
> rather easily?  Yikes.  Get a load of the length of the stem--the nut at
> the top is sort of cute... :-o
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT

The result of relying on the Force instead of thinking. It
looks fine, except for being badly installed by committee.
Wait, that's redundant. From a non committee perspective, if
the hole the stem goes through were big enough, or countersunk
to let the caster bearing raceway seat against the bottom of
the truck leg, the stem wouldn't be overstressed. Think
agraffe. Modify the holes so that can happen, or shim under
the raceways with a disc of pinblock scrap if you need the
height, and you're there.

The cap nut on the stem "tower" (a monument to single minded
dedication to the superficial) is a pretty good indication of
the thought and planning that went into the original installation.

Ron N