[pianotech] Sluggish action on Wurlitzer

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 10:01:29 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Chuck Raynor <diggeray at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi group,
> I'm a new poster and quite new to this business, so be gentle. Went to tune
> a Wurlitzer console today and the owner mentioned a "few sticky keys".
>  Well, at least half the hammers either returned slowly or didn't return at
> all when I pressed and then released the soft pedal. Took one hammer out and
> hit the flange with CLP and  swung it back and forth until it was free.
> What's the best course of action (no pun intended)?  Repin? lubricate?  Is
> there a quick method for freeing this beast up?
> Thanks for you help.
> Chuck R.

Hi Chuck,

I have to agree with Ron Nossaman that to some extent this is the nature of
the beast.
Having said that I have had some success with sizing the action centers with
alcohol and water, as John Formsma suggested. I use a higher mix of water to
alcohol, a 50/50 mix and find it works best on the Wurlies if you let it sit
overnight in your shop. I use a syringe and a long needle and inject the mix
into the bushing although I have also used Q-tips soaked in the solution
then touched to the offending action center. I then check them for movement
the following day and if there are stubborn ones, re-treat them and dry them
with a blow dryer.

By the way this is most common on 70's era Wurlies because they got the
bright idea to start making their own actions then and pinned them all very
tight. They also, on some used a "finished" pin, it's actually rounded at
the ends similar to the top of a balance rail pin but most of those were
from the late '50's and 60's

FYI I bought an 8oz bottle of Protec about 5 or 6 years ago and still have
3/4's of it. For most things IMHO I find it to be a temporary fix that
eventually can cause more trouble than doing the repair correctly to begin
with.
Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404