[pianotech] Sluggish action on Wurlitzer

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Nov 18 21:03:19 PST 2008

Chuck Raynor wrote:
> Hi group,
> I'm a new poster and quite new to this business, so be gentle. Went to
> tune a Wurlitzer console today and the owner mentioned a "few sticky
> keys".  Well, at least half the hammers either returned slowly or didn't
> return at all when I pressed and then released the soft pedal. Took one
> hammer out and hit the flange with CLP and  swung it back and forth
> until it was free.
> What's the best course of action (no pun intended)?  Repin? lubricate?
> Is there a quick method for freeing this beast up?
> Thanks for you help.
> Chuck R.

If you ask anyone who's been around since Tuesday about
Wurlitzer consoles, they'll likely all tell you the same
thing. Expect pathologically wild trebles when tuning, and
sluggish keys in general. They're both features of the beast.
Anything you can do to minimize either will be justifiable in
a court of law, but likely ineffective in the real world.

Luck,
Ron N