[pianotech] Downbearing

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Sun Nov 23 03:00:54 PST 2008

---- paulrevenkojones at aol.com wrote:
> What is the argument for "equal" bearing front and back?

Take the extreme case that I sited, five times the intended front bearing, while on the back, the intended down bearing is reversed and quadrupled.  Whether these forces actually physically distort the soundboard or not, it cannot be a good thing to have excessive downward force on the front of the bridge, and forces pulling up on the back of the bridge that should be applied downward.  I have seen errors in what should be down bearing, but in fact are up bearing, actually rip the soundboard off the belly rail.  So, if these conditions of imbalance between forces to the front of the bridge as opposed to the back of the bridge are not a good thing, what is the optimal state of things?  I would say to have exactly the same downward force to the front of the bridge, as is applied to the back of the bridge would be optimal.

So, Paul, my question to you is:   What is the argument for anything other than "equal" bearing front and back?

Frank Emerson