[pianotech] PVC-E and keytops

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Nov 27 09:59:14 PST 2008

Diane Hofstetter wrote:
> Had an unfortunate experience with PVC-e in installing a set of keytops
> about 1985--they came off in less than one week--so I have never used it
> since.  BUT I know many of you do with success, and I want to try it on
> a set that I will be installing in my living room.  Since the archives
> are down, can someone help me with procedure?
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Diane Hofstetter

Hi Diane,
I don't know what might have happened, other than prior
contamination as Ed suggested. I've been using PVC-E forever
with no failures. I've never been able to get satisfactory
results without something holding the top and front against
the key. I use masking tape, one strip around the front, and
two on the top.

Ron N