[pianotech] Price quote for restoration Gors & Kallman-repair pricebreakdown

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 30 02:45:53 PST 2008

Lee-

Restoration is a big word. It usually refers to highly informed, experienced work. As part of the learning process, one learns about reasonable charges.

For example, let's say a person has one or two years of piano technology school, a year of internship or employment, and six years' experience, rebuilding two or three pianos a year, and attending at least one or two educational seminars each year. They charge $XX. Will you be able to deliver the same product? If not, why should you be paid the same?

If you were a member of PTG, or had taken a beginner's correspondence course you would already have access to reference material that would help you calculate your charges.

Rebuilding pianos is wonderful work. I hope you will commit to learning to be a competent piano technician. It's worth the effort. You will find a lot of support from your colleagues if you show that you are really working to learn to do good work.

Sincerely,
Ed Sutton