Shop Safety

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Oct 1 19:47:18 MDT 2008

And in other news............my Dad said never buy cheap grinding wheels or
cut-off wheels.  Well, here's why........

I had just about finished fitting a new pinblock, turned on the grinder and
WHAMMO!!  The bugger shattered (still can't find all the pieces).  It was a
grinding wheel BTW, not a cut-off wheel, being used appropriately.  One
piece hit me in the gut - plenty of cushion, no damage there.  Another piece
whacked my pinky on my left hand - OUCH!!  That one hurt (still does).
Feels like my pinky was squeezed in a vice.  Thankfully I was wearing
gloves.

Leads to a new/re-emphasized rule in the shop - ALWAYS wear safety
glasses/gloves with the grinder.  I know it's the rule anyway, but really,
not even for a quickie will I turn on the grinder again without appropriate
safety gear.  I was wearing it, BTW.

.........And, hey!!  Let's be careful out there...........

William R. Monroe