(a first for me...) new hammers for 1927 s and s L

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 09:09:21 MDT 2008

 Liszters,

I have a customer, who also happens to have a son who's a classmate of my son, who has an old L that's in pretty good shape, except the hammers are shot.? No room for shaping left on them.? But the strings are good, board is good, block is good . It's pretty solid all-round.? So after years of being pretty much strictly a home-service guy, I'm going to jump in and put a new set of hammers on this piano.? It will be the first complete set I've ever replaced.?

I have had a few suggestions from folks on type of hammer, notably Steinway(sticking with the original, expensive) and Abel (more ready out-of-the-box, cheaper). I like the Ronsen VFGs that are on my Mason, too, but am not sure they'd match up well with the Steinway. ? I was assuming that I'd go with Steinway, but I need to ask the customer if authentic Steinway parts are necessary.? Since I'm not tooled up to bore my own hammers, I'll probably get them pre-bored/pre-hung.?

Any suggestions or input would be welcomed.??

Dave Stahl, RPT
Dave Stahl Piano Service
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net
dstahlpiano.net