(a first for me...) new hammers for 1927 s and s L

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Oct 2 09:28:56 MDT 2008

Dave,

I rebuilt a '32 Steinway L two years ago and used Wally Brook's (Abel)
Natural Felt hammers and everyone (piano faculty) loves it!  His prices
for boring and tapering, etc., are also very reasonable.  Otherwise, I'd
go with Steinway hammers.  Are the shanks/flanges and knuckles good enough
to keep for the whole new life of the hammers? Always think ahead....(why
do I know this??? ;>)  )

Paul T. Williams RPT
Piano Technician
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE
pwilliams4 at unl.edu

piannaman at aol.com
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
10/02/2008 10:10 AM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
(a first for me...) new hammers for 1927 s and s L

Liszters,

I have a customer, who also happens to have a son who's a classmate of my
son, who has an old L that's in pretty good shape, except the hammers are
shot.  No room for shaping left on them.  But the strings are good, board
is good, block is good . It's pretty solid all-round.  So after years of
being pretty much strictly a home-service guy, I'm going to jump in and
put a new set of hammers on this piano.  It will be the first complete set
I've ever replaced.

I have had a few suggestions from folks on type of hammer, notably
Steinway(sticking with the original, expensive) and Abel (more ready
out-of-the-box, cheaper). I like the Ronsen VFGs that are on my Mason,
too, but am not sure they'd match up well with the Steinway.   I was
assuming that I'd go with Steinway, but I need to ask the customer if
authentic Steinway parts are necessary.  Since I'm not tooled up to bore
my own hammers, I'll probably get them pre-bored/pre-hung.

Any suggestions or input would be welcomed.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Dave Stahl Piano Service
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net
dstahlpiano.net
Find phone numbers fast with the New AOL Yellow Pages!