Low Inertia

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Fri Oct 3 08:53:08 MDT 2008

Hi list, Jim, Dave.

Jim, if I got you right, your main complain that you describe as a
"higher-than-you-would-like" dynamic touch weight is somehow related to what
I call the "hey-I-didn't-mean-that" effect.  That is : you have say a slight
crescendo effect in mind to enlighten only the main voice in a four parts
counterpoint, and when you do this, voila, you end up with that part far
louder than you wanted, obliging you to temper your playing, which is
frustrating.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
If this is the case, I would say that incriminating too high inertia as the
cause of this is not the way to go.
As for inertia, I do believe that with less inertia, the dynamic of the
action is transcribing the dynamic of your fingers more accurately, but this
is not what you want, as your fingers (how well educated and trained they
might be) are far from equal and under perfect control.  With a low inertia
action, the slightest difference in your finger's force will end up as a
large (too large maybe) change in sound from the piano.
I do believe that with more inertia in the action, your finger gets from the
action "resistance" a useful information about how hard it has actually
begun to strike the key, and you have the full 10 mm dip to adapt your
finger action to what your musical mind intended.  This goes intuitively, of
course.  But more inertia in the action is a remedy against unwanted out of
range dynamics.
Together with this action dynamics properties goes the soundboard
responsiveness.  Again, a soundboard that doesn't respond that well to the
action dynamics (understand that a large dynamic change input in the action
results in a small dynamic response in the soundboard) will oblige you to
exaggerate your finger input dynamics, which can or can not be agreeable.
All in all, I'd say that a good Steinway well regulated is unbeatable on
this topic : it does transcribe not your finger input, but your mind input,
equalizing all the minute discrepancies that might occur in your arms and
fingers, avoiding the "I didn't want this" effect.  That is, to me, the
reason why many pianists prefer this piano, as it is a safe way to go.  It
is like a do it all maid : you ask, she does.  A contrario, some more
difficult to control pianos can (or can not) inspire you by obliging you to
follow them into their own way of working.  But this is another topic.

But who am I to talk like this, when some heroes like Dave did the huge work
to scientifically analyze, compile and share hard facts data about what
works and what doesn't ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.