Low Inertia

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 19:29:59 MDT 2008

 Stephane,

>Jim, if I got you right, your main complain that you describe as a
>"higher-than-you-would-like" dynamic touch weight is somehow related to what
>I call the "hey-I-didn't-mean-that" effect...

You make an interesting point.  I have never experienced it as you describe, but
its a very reasonable line of thought.

I wonder though just how much of this discussion is really about belly stuff and
how much is about actions.

>Together with this action dynamics properties goes the soundboard
>responsiveness.  Again, a soundboard that doesn't respond that well to the
>action dynamics (understand that a large dynamic change input in the action
>results in a small dynamic response in the soundboard) will oblige you to
>exaggerate your finger input dynamics, which can or can not be agreeable.

I think my experience of this is quite opposite. In a poorly responding
soundboard, I can play either loud or loud. A hard strike of the key is loud and
a soft strike is loud. Everything sounds the same. The action really seems to be
out of the picture...anyway that's the way I experience it.

Jim Ialeggio
Grandpianosolutions.com (under construction)
Shirley, MA (978) 425-9026