expanding brackets revisited

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Fri Oct 3 19:54:24 MDT 2008

Jeannie,

The old "pot metal" brackets have been an issue for a long time, and I know
I searched hard to find suitable replacements for a piano I was working on
in the early 80s.  The ones I saw did not usually grow in quite the same way
as the YC brackets, but tended to crumble pretty quickly.  The YC brackets
tend to swell gradually, not failing and cracking apart for a long time.

This is a type of oxidation problem, and the environment does affect it.  So
if a piano is moved to a more humid place, especially an island with salt
water surrounding it (!!)  that could be a contributing factor to why the
piano remained functional for so long, then started to cause problems.

Don Mannino