expanding brackets revisited

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 3 18:55:10 MDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I know there has been much previous discussion in the past about expanding
grand action brackets, particularly on Young Changs.  However, I have been
finding the problem on some low end older American-made pianos. I'm curious
as to how many of you have encountered these and am wondering if we might
collectively be able to put a list together of some of the brands of pianos
that used these types of brackets.  I've encountered 2 in as many months:
Haines and Story & Clark.

I'm also curious why this problem would be occurring in these pianos that
have been functioning, albeit marginally, for all these years.  Why did they
all of a sudden seem to take a dive for the worst after so long?  Neither of
these pianos is worth a big fix, so remanufacturing the brackets would cost
more than the pianos would be worth.  I'm just wondering if I might
encounter a lot more of this phenomenon as these depression era pianos turn
a certain age.

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks to you all for sharing.

jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT

Registered Member PIano Technicians Guild

Bainbridge Island, WA

206-842-3721

 <mailto:jcgrassi at earthlink.net> jcgrassi at earthlink.net