Low Inertia

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sat Oct 4 06:31:06 MDT 2008

Stéphane,  (and Jim, see below)

The feeling of resistance from inertia certainly
contributes to a feeling of control (or lack of
it depending on the evenness of it).  However
friction can also help give a feeling of control
by giving a feeling of viscosity and connection.
If you look historically back even just a few
decades the emphasis on having a specific amount
of friction was more prevalent as apposed to the
more recent movement towards "less friction is
better".  In older instruments (100yrs+), with
lighter hammers, friction may have played more of
a role in giving the pianist a feeling of
connection on the way down through the stroke.

Erard pianos used to have adjustable friction
hammer flanges.  The older Steinway touch weight
specs had not just down weight but down weight
and up weight specifications thereby specifying
friction.  The modern day specs de-specify up
weight and let it be anything above 18g with
emphasis on less being better.  Bill Garlick who
ran the North Bennet St. School learned piano
technology at the London Furniture school (early
70's?). He told us that when repinning hammer
shanks they were graded by the swing method.
Anything over three sings and they flunked the
test.

I can give an anecdotal piece of evidence as
well.  In 1988 I showed an experimental action to
Rudolph Serkin.  It was a Steinway D with very
light, extremely cut down, soft, cold pressed
hammers with adjustable friction hammer flanges
each set to precisely 5g rotational friction
measured at a 32mm radius.

His comments:

"It feels connected somehow. I couldn't believe it at first."
"It's amazing. The feeling is so immediate."

but although the sound of this piano was sweet,
it was too small for the concert stage, hence the
move towards heavier hammers of the modern age.

Something to think about!

David Stanwood

(Hammer Weight Standards available at:
http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/SW-HWstandards4.pdf)

<snip>
>I do believe that with more inertia in the action, your finger gets from the
>action "resistance" a useful information about how hard it has actually
>begun to strike the key, and you have the full 10 mm dip to adapt your
>finger action to what your musical mind intended.  This goes intuitively, of
>course.  But more inertia in the action is a
>remedy against unwanted out of >range dynamics.
<snip>

Jim,

I agree with you..  I think Chopin would be a
little shocked if he came back to life and tried
playing todays pianos.

When matching hammer weight and ratio we are
certainly guided by empirical evidence.  It would
be nice to have a sensor on the end of our finger
attached to a device which told us how much force
we exert when playing the keys!

Thanks,

David