lowering inertia without voiding warranty?

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Sun Oct 5 09:48:37 MDT 2008

>I called Renner USA & while they have the springs, they have nothing
>else and no instructions as to what else is needed to install
>them.  I guess it's a case of Renner USA vs Renner Germany.  And
>Tokiwa doesn't seem to make anything that will work.
>
>So I can't find any helper spr.ings to even try.  I understand they
>are a real pain to adjust, but since it's my piano, I can spend the
>time to get the right.

Hi Bob,
                Go to a hobby store and get some leather cord of the
appropriate size. (they sell quite a variety) Then  thread through
the wee holes, and spring coil with no problem. Tip: Sharpen tip and
wet the end with thin CA glue, this will make it easy to
thread.   You will also need to order a set of flanges with the loops.
Remember the springs are in 3 different diameters, so don't mix them up.

Wippen assist springs should only support 10 to 15gms of down weight.

>Bob at Pianotek was helpful.  He suggest adding 1/2 punching to the
>key at the balance rail. My puncings are scarlet (.055). Not having
>any, I used several layers of maksing tape to get up to about .033,
>in the shape of a regular puncing, cut in two, and stuck them on
>--facing the right way-- at the balance pin hole of the key.
>
>This indeed did lighten the feel of the piano, but it caused it to
>be sluggish. Plus it raised the key height 1/16 and the back end,
>nearly 3/8" (which makes since with the leverage as we calculated is
>above that 6.2 to 1.

Have you checked the balance rail hole height?  If this  is greater
than 4mm for a spruce key, or 3.5mm on a key with maple shoes, this
may be the cause of  both the excess weight, and the sluggish
action.,  I have measured 6 to 7mm on an Estonia.  Pianotek sells a
reamer to fix this problem.

Do you feel you have to have a lot of after touch for ppp playing?

Regards Roger