Antique damper regulation

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sun Oct 5 23:09:46 MDT 2008

Hi Greg.

On a Chickering, I don't know.  But on antique Pleyel pianos, you can turn
the head of the damper upside down, which makes it possible to screw the
threaded wire.  This makes it also possible to adjust the head laterally
over the strings, by giving a full turn to the head.  Beware that at both
places there might be a drop of burnt shellac that holds the damper in
place, which can give the feeling that it won't move.  It is maybe a good
practice to put a new drop of burnt shellac when the regulation is done.
Also, on antique Pleyel pianos, you can unscrew the struts so it is possible
to regulate the adjacent dampers*.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.

*(joke.)
How do you regulate damper wires on antiques where the wire screws into the
damper lift flange.

I've been asked to touch up a late 1800's Chickering grand, straight strung.
Several bass dampers are a little high.  Normally, I'd just loosen the
screw, let the damper wire drop in the lifter flange, and tighten back up.
Can't do that here.  It looks like I need to screw the wire down a turn or
two, but can't get the head above the adjacent heads.  I thought about
raising the upstop rail, but doubt that will get me enough height.  And then
there's the one next to the plate beam.
Greg Graham