Antique damper regulation

Greg Graham grahampianos at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 20:41:27 MDT 2008

This may be basic for folks with antique piano experience, but...

How do you regulate damper wires on antiques where the wire screws into the damper lift flange.

I've been asked to touch up a late 1800's Chickering grand, straight strung.  Several bass dampers are a little high.  Normally, I'd just loosen the screw, let the damper wire drop in the lifter flange, and tighten back up.  Can't do that here.  It looks like I need to screw the wire down a turn or two, but can't get the head above the adjacent heads.  I thought about raising the upstop rail, but doubt that will get me enough height.  And then there's the one next to the plate beam.

There must be something simple I'm missing here, but I didn't want to experiment with 110 year old damper wire.

Greg Graham