Low Inertia

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Mon Oct 6 16:03:59 MDT 2008

Dear all,

Before these related threads scatter into oblivion I want to restate
what I've already mentioned in the Journal past: it is my observation
that distance ratio divided by weight ratio yields something I call
the efficiency ratio which is a ratio of ratios....

As an example I was recently working in John Foys shop to help
install a Precision Touch Design in a Steinway D.   We found that
with a 5.5 ratio the distance ratio was 5.0.  The efficiency ratio
was .9 and the action required a .430" dip with a 1.75" blow....  We
checked the action center elevations and the whole stack was low by
almost 1/4".  Rechecking the ratios the weight ratio was 5.3 and the
distance ratio up to 5.7 which was kind of astonishing.   The
efficiency ratio was now 1.1 and the action regulated with .400 dip...

This is just one example and I'm collecting much more data to
formally publish but I can say at this stage that it is my conclusion
that the efficiency ratio should be above 1.0 for good results...

To me distance ratio comes under the heading of geometry and is
related to arcs and their angular interaction whereas the strike
weight ratio is a result of vertical gravitational vectors.

I like what Fenton said.... it's about Hammer Weight, Action Ratio,
Geometry and Friction....

Onward and upward....

David Stanwood