Unstringable C8, was Steinway 78183

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Oct 6 20:56:20 MDT 2008

> Current NY S&S says no. 12.5.  The one I worked on miced there and was
> marked as such.  Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what gauge wire you
> put on, Break% will still be the same.

Right, and a C-8 2.5" speaking length is 63.5mm, which by
Sanderson's formulas puts the break% at 100%. Not a lot of
room to finesse anything, is there?

  > 2.5" seems long to me.  I don't have an S now, but the "O"
that I have
> has note 88 at 46mm (1.81")??  Not sure what's going on there.....

Good question. If you ever find out, please let me know.

> I'll be curious if someone has an S to measure or knows the speaking
> length.
>
> William R. Monroe

I don't, but this has come up on the list from time to time,
and the lengths quoted have always been very very long.
Ron N