Unstringable C8, was Steinway 78183

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Oct 7 09:18:08 MDT 2008

> It appears that there is a lot of variation in the "standard piano of the
> world".

Like every army in the world marches to a standard, and
they're all different. Probably hand built as well.

> The upright has the most responsive sound at C88.  Maybe some of you
> scale/board gurus can shed some light on this?
> Regards,
>
> Ed Foote RPT

No guru, but I'll bet it's not the scale making the
difference. In an upright, the bridge doesn't have to sit 25mm
away from the rim (belly rail) in order for the hammers to hit
somewhere near an optimal strike point, so the bridge can be
located toward the middle of the available soundboard area up
there.
Ron N