Broken Agraffe

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 19:20:21 MDT 2008

The first thing to try to remove the broken stem of an agraffe is a modified screw driver.  Just take an old screw driver that isn't too small and modify the end of the blade so it is shaped as a double v.  You might use a file or a grinder to make the v shapes, but you want them sharp.  They need to be close enough together that they will both fit into the broken stem.  If you are lucky, you just stick this on it and turn counterclockwise and it will turn and come out.  You may use a small hammer to drive the hard steel blades into the softer brass stem.  At times, using the hammer to drive one v part into the right side of the stem will get it moving.  If you try this and cannot get it moving you may try a left handed drill bit.  Drill as close to the center as possible.  The left handed bit is fluted in the opposite direction as the normal bit.  You need the drill in the reverse position.  This action may again get the stem moving enough to remove it.  I do not like "easy outs" for this job.  to work you need the hole in the stem first.  Driving the "easy out" into the hole tends to expand the whole stem, making it tighter.  The times I had to go that far, I ended up drilling all the way through and removing the scrap pieces of stem left in the hole.  Good luck!

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter