ETD'S ??? HELP

Jeffrey Cutler jwcpianotech at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 14:08:31 MDT 2008

I have only been in this biz for a couple of years, so I do not have
the same reverence for aural tuning as some of you, but I do have a
couple of thoughts
from a rookie's perspective.

1. I appreciate the art of aural tuning and I am very happy that I
learned this way first. It allows me to trust my ears over the ETD
from time to time when it just
does not sound quite right. And it gives me a goal to keep improving
towards.

2. I use email not snail mail. Somewhere on a similar chat board I am
certain that a debate rages on the virtues of one over the other.
Neither do I use an abacus
though I have heard of expert users who could do calculations much
faster than a calculator.

3. I am always amazed at the discussions regarding the temperature of
a tuning fork. Here in Minnesota, my ETD doesn't care what temp it is.

4. Being so new, when I am tuning for customers or for practice, my
teacher is always there, ensuring that as I learn this stately art my
customers do not suffer!
5. I have a Cyber tuner and I have learned much from it. Thanks to
Dean Reyburn and his group for a fine product with outstanding
customer service.

I do floor tunings for a local company which allows me the privilege
of experimenting with different pitch raise options and stretch
settings etc. which is beyond
value. I am also able to save the serial numbers of the pianos for
future reference when doing a warranty tuning for the end user.

Jeffrey Cutler
Piano tuning & service
651-398-6293