speaking of ETD's (SAT III)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Oct 12 06:44:13 MDT 2008

Hi Marcel.

I see that was a bit unclear... tho it does actually say what I meant it
to. I just didnt explicitly specify that if you want to check the 6:3
octave <<against>> other octave types then you can just "switch to the
2nd partial of the upper". I kinda thought it was unnecessary as I just
referred to the partial switching button in TL. And for the record... it
makes no (significant) difference if you use the 6th partial of the
lower note or the 3rd partial of the upper note in a reasonably good
tuning curve.  It the tuning curve is bad tho... then you'd be better
off using the 3rd partial of the upper note as it is this frequency the
6th partial of the lower note is to be tuned to. This answers to exactly
what we do aurally when using the inside minor third/major sixth octave
test yes ?

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,I think that if you would like to check a 6:3 octave with
    TuneLab you would have to set TL to the 6th partial of the bottom
    note. If you played the octave above it would be measuring the 3rd
    partial of the upper note. The way you wrote it, you would be
    measuring a 4:2 octave.Marcel CareyShebrooke,

        Hi Dan
        I do this kind of this routinely with Tunelab Pocket. I see the
        tuning  curve as simply a template mostly for the temperament
        area.  The rest I  pretty much direct reference as you outline
        below. Tunelab Pocket has a  particularly useful function for
        this in as much as it has a Partial  switching button where you
        can at the flick of a twitch look at any  given partial for
        whatever note it is you are looking for.  So if you  want to
        double check that 6:3 octave you just tuned you can switch to
        the 2nd partial of the upper (or 4th of the lower) and have a
        gander at  whats going on.  Very easy to use Tunelab this way
        for just about any  conceivable aural test.
        Cheers RicB