Question about Pierce Atlas (is there anything else?)

Stephen Grattan lostchordclinic at ameritech.net
Sun Oct 12 20:47:42 MDT 2008

Gordon,

To add to the confusion on the Hudson piano, some pianos with the name Hudson were also sold by the J.L. Hudson company in Detroit and they were made by Everett!  There is plenty of confusion to go around.  In the case of an obscure company - I suggest to people that they hire a RPT to remove the action and keys on their pianos.  Quite often, a date will be written in pencil or rubberstamped on the back of the wippen rail, a key, the keybed or on a hammer or two.  I have also found full spec sheets on 3X5 forms under the keys (an 1893 Ivers & Pond upright).  Other than that, I know of no way to determine the age of some of these pianos.

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic