the economy/starting out

Bruce Browning - The Piano Tuner justpianos at our.net.au
Tue Oct 14 16:02:30 MDT 2008

Gregor _

> I would hire a professional mover for transporting pianos. Don´t ruin your
> back. We are overqualified for that. Of course that raises the prices for
> our pianos or repairs, but it´s worth the money.

I respectfully disagree. Just my 2 (aussie) cents worth, which is now
worth 40% less due to ecomonic downturn.
If you are fit and well there is no reason not to transport pianos
yourself, I've done it since day 1 of starting my piano training, and it
is all in the technique. My mentor did it into his seventies.

Advantages- 1. You can take the piano immediately on approval of repair
quote, saving returning for second trip/appointment.
2. Transport payment comes to you, not a second party.(Big bonus).
3. Transport on repair quote can be reduced considerably, as there is no
extra travel involved.
4. By delivering the completed repair job, you are there for set-up,
checking and tuning, thus saving an additional appointment time.
5. You should probably already have insurance which will cover this.
6. Professional transport may not be available.

Disadvantages- 1. Can't manage awkward areas, second storey delivery or
many stairs.
2. Additional equipment required, albiet a small amount.
3. Grands are a little more difficult than Uprights, but again technique
is everything.

I'm sure these techniques would have been discussed previously, but maybe
it's time for an update, including improved equipment.
Bruce Browning
The Piano Tuner.