New Weickert felt limited edition piano hammer

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Oct 14 21:49:10 MDT 2008

Hi Thomas
? Good question. Yes ,for the time being. The blends of felt Used in the Weickert felt are only available in limited batches?currently & the?amount of?wool purchased for this run is limited. What that means in terms of availability will remain to be seen. If many other makers clamor for the felt then it could make for an interesting situation. Part of the real answer is of course proprietary, but at the onset of this particular project only a finite amount of wool was available.
? However and fortunately?Ray/Ronsen has the exclusive on this currently. I will buy ahead to anticipate demand.?
?Because Ray & I and the other testers were able to agree to give feedback in relatively lightening quick speed, we were able to give Jack the information he needed to proceed at full speed ahead for which?we are?grateful. In the realms of hammer production, bringing a hammer felt to market this quickly is unheard of.
?Previously I have used a good deal of the Bacon felt hammers for reasons previously described so eloquently by David Love. It starts with a darker tone in some applications &?can require?thin juice to build tone, but not always..?I like this.?The Bacon felt by in large has been my a very favorable workable felt?medium?by which I've?achieved my singing sonorous concept of tone in most? of my pianos but not all. It's still a good idea to practice hammer sampling that David Love has been a proponent of. See archives for details.
?? With the Weikert felt there is something in it as tonally dark but even more powerful inherently, which is attractive?and yet with the color I crave. I'm a true hammer cynic & self professed felt snob. So I don't buy the emperors new clothes just because somebody says there shiny. If a hammer pings or clangs out of the box...I loose interest as fast as a deflating stock market.
?I've been teaching on the subject and studying hammers/felt & voicing intensely for 20 years?and IMHO ?It's time for a revolution, one that allows for all kinds of technicians at all kinds of skill levels to be able to successfully hang hammers that produce a beautiful tone with minor amounts of voicing gymnastics.?Do I hear an Amen!
?
Stamp out petrified felt...it doesn't work
? Dale

Will these truely be limited edition or is that marketing?

Thomas Martin