Broken Keys

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Oct 15 17:34:52 MDT 2008

        I will be facing my first broken keys situation this coming week.

        I have a client who has two broken keys needing repaired.  What is the appropriate process to assess this situation (i.e., can it be done in the home at the appointment, what do I need to bring in my repair kit)?

        Open your eyes and move your hands.  ;-]

        And, if the keys are irrepairable, what is the proper way to address that situation.

        Thank you!
        Matthew

More than likely it is a spinet that has a couple broken elbows.  Bring some of the Vagias clip on elbos to replace and a pair of needle nose pliers to crush off whatever remains of the previous elbows.  Center pin stays in place, new elbow screws on and then presses onto the old center pin.

However, "broken keys" is often a catch all for the note doesn't work.  Could be anything, so just troubleshoot the problem.  Start at the key and work your way in.

William R. Monroe