The all new Weickert felt hammer by Ronsen

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 18:29:53 MDT 2008

At 08:53 -0400 17/10/08, Serge Harel wrote:

>The better the felt the more sensitive the are thatÊwhy Ray andÊme
>has good result withÊourÊold fashion way to make hammer.
>The hydraulic could not make tension hammer like l do on the picture.

Serge, pressure is pressure, and the only difference I can tell
between pressure applied by screws and pressure applied by hydraulic
or pneumatic rams is that with these the pressure can be accurately
measured and differentially applied.  As Dolge says, speaking of
machines younger than yours:

  "...with the present machines, the operator has no control over the
pressure exercised; he does not know but has to guess whether the
felt is pressed down sufficiently or not.  The rigidness of the
covering machine does not permit of any variation in pressure to be
used, so necessary on account of the uneven texture of the felt..."

There you have it from the horse's mouth.

JD