The all new Weickert felt hammer by Ronsen

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Oct 17 22:50:13 MDT 2008

???????????? Hi JD
? How are you?
??
?I read this with interest & find his comments odd
?The reason?being that I have turned the Screws on Rays press & you can feel? & get a feel of how much pressure is required?, on account of the non uniformity of felt strips & there is a great deal of variation. Enough to keep a guy in really good physical condition. I contribute this fact to the consistency of Ronsen hammers & also the consistency & skill with which Ray is able to bring in pressing four different types of felt.
?Quite a feat.??Pressure is pressure but pre pressing removes resilience as does too much heat. It seems as if?we technicians?fail to bitch & moan when the hammers are too hard, we shrug our shoulders & say oh well,?but complain like h_ _ _ if the set show the slightest signs of mellow ness. Know what I mean?
? Dale
?
?Dale

?"...with the present machines, the operator has no control over the pressure exercised; he does not know but has to guess whether the felt is pressed down sufficiently or not. The rigidness of the covering machine does not permit of any variation in pressure to be used, so necessary on account of the uneven texture of the felt..."?
?
There you have it from the horse's mouth.?
?
JD?

?
?
>The better the felt the more sensitive the are that?why Ray and?me >has good result with?our?old fashion way to make hammer.?
>The hydraulic could not make tension hammer like l do on the picture.?
?
Serge, pressure is pressure, and the only difference I can tell between pressure applied by screws and pressure applied by hydraulic or pneumatic rams is that with these the pressure can be accurately measured and differentially applied. As Dolge says, speaking of machines younger than yours:?
?