Tuning Compromises Across a Challenging Break

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 21:12:05 MDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Jeff Deutschle <oaronshoulder at gmail.com>wrote:

> John:
>
> I've thought about what you wrote below, have read similar
> statements before, and am not sure what it really means.
>
> Do you mean the natural stretch beyond the theoretical 1:2 frequency ratio
> that is necessary to achieve a chosen octave type? Or do you mean that for a
> given scaling, a certain octave type is best? If the latter, how would this
> be determined? Maybe you mean something else that I haven't thought of.

I don't consciously listen for coincident partials when setting A3 from A4.
I listen for the best overall octave, then check what octave width it is.
What usually works best is an A3-A4 octave between a 4:2 and 6:3. However,
certain pianos call for that octave to be between 4:2 and 2:1. Having tuned
many different types and sizes of pianos, I have a general idea of what will
work best before I get started. Obviously, that general idea comes from many
trials and errors. :-)  And, it's fairly simple to readjust if what is
initially tried doesn't work.

--
JF