Tuning Compromises Across a Challenging Break

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 06:12:41 MDT 2008

John:

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I am more analytical than most, which is
makes things difficult when dealing with a subjective topic like "what
sounds best". I tune with 6:3 octaves in the temperament because, to
me, they sound "clearer" even though a narrower octave sounds "cleaner".
Also the double octaves sound better and the tests are more managable with
one hand. (I used to think I was tuning 4:2 octaves until I realised I was
listening to 6:4 fifths.) I have not experienced a cetain octave making the
compromises easier across a break. Of course when a true compromise is made,
*all* intervals are compromised including the octaves.

--

Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.