The finite life of wood grain

andré oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Thu Oct 23 14:46:11 MDT 2008

On Oct 23, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Marcel Carey wrote:

> One thing that comes to my mind is that what we see here in Northern
> America is probably very different that what you guys see in Europe.
> I think our climate conditions (at least here in Québec) are much
> harder on a soundboard that what it can be in Europe. It seems
> impossible for me to be able to say for sure if an old recrowned
> board will sound better than a new board. Unless someone is willing
> to recrown an old board, make recordings and then take it out to put
> in a new board.
> We should be respectfull of all options available to us.
> Marcel Carey
> Sherbrooke, QC
>
> Utilisez Windows Live Messenger pour envoyer des messages sur les
> cellulaires de vos amis Plus de détails sur notre site PC at cellulaire

Hi Marcel,

Recrowning an old board is exactly what I know about. I have the
experience, so I know what the result is.
I have tried it all, together with my former business partner and with
other technicians, and over quite a lot of years.
What I have to say about it, is that, in - my - experience, installing
a new board always sounded much better than putting new ribs on an old
board.
You know me, I know you, we are old hands in this business, we know
what we are talking about.
So, in the end... give me a brand new grand piano with a good name.
Today I optimized a brand new Steingraeber grand (I think 2.05 meter).
Lovely! what an instrument!

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek