The finite life of wood grain

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 03:22:50 MDT 2008

At 22:46 +0200 23/10/08, andré oorebeek wrote:

>What I have to say about it, is that, in - my - experience,
>installing a new board always sounded much better than putting new
>ribs on an old board.
>You know me, I know you, we are old hands in this business, we know
>what we are talking about.

Maybe, but that is quite different from saying that the wood of which
the old board is made has deteriorated through age.  Provided it has
not been damaged by compression, the wood of the original board could
be used to make a new (thinner) board for, say, a harpsichord or
antique pianoforte and the result would be as good as or better than
new wood.   The proposition that age alone causes wood to deteriorate
is nonsense.  It is the soundboard as a mechanical structure that can
deteriorate if it is made in certain ways, but there are many
soundboards in very old pianos that are as good as they were 120 or
140 years ago because they were properly designed.

The very title of this topic "the finite life of wood grain" is meaningless.

JD