Buying Customer List or Existing Business

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Fri Oct 24 07:58:31 MDT 2008

Speaking from a less-than-stellar experience...
Have the retiring gent "introduce" you to his (living) clientele. This may
be a mailing that you do in his name (with his blessing, of course) or him
phoning everyone, or something else. A mailing with his signature on a
letter would probably be easiest and most effective.

Definitely you need to acquire his phone number.

Possibly, pay a fixed amount for his active clients that agree to your
services, plus a percentage of any inactive ones that contact you in the
next two years, or some other finite timeframe.

My experience was a tech who retired due to health issues, and who told very
few clients that someone else would be answering the phone. Thankfully, at
least, I did get the phone number!

My 2c,
Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN