Pleyel tone problem

stephan van meirhaeghe svmpiano at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 16:13:28 MDT 2008

Hi all,

Finished restoring a 'Pleyel' grand from 1870.
Did new restringing with new scaling, used Pure Sound. New 'Abel' refelted
hamers in Germany (first time with Abel hamers), Dry out cracks and
shimming.Complete regulation.
Before I will start with the pre-needling of the hamers I have a question.
In the middle part of the discant section there are two notes who has a very
jerky sound.
Difficult to explain but it is like the notes have zero power in it, a
really poor sound like there isn't any contact with the soundboard. The
soundboard is ok, contact with bridge ok. When I pluck the strings of these
notes I hear no difference with the other notes. It has to come from the
hamers. I know of course the voicing will help it but the difference with
the rest of the piano is too big . So because I never had this before I
would like to know if anybody have similiar experiences with these 'Abel'
hamers. I asked medium hardness felt.

Thanks,

Stephan Van Meirhaeghe