Pleyel tone problem

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 24 18:52:51 MDT 2008

Try shifting the strike point a little?
Contact Abel and ask their advice.
ES
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: stephan van meirhaeghe
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 6:13 PM
  Subject: Pleyel tone problem

  Hi all,

  Finished restoring a 'Pleyel' grand from 1870.
  Did new restringing with new scaling, used Pure Sound. New 'Abel' refelted hamers in Germany (first time with Abel hamers), Dry out cracks and shimming.Complete regulation.
  Before I will start with the pre-needling of the hamers I have a question.
  In the middle part of the discant section there are two notes who has a very jerky sound.
  Difficult to explain but it is like the notes have zero power in it, a really poor sound like there isn't any contact with the soundboard. The soundboard is ok, contact with bridge ok. When I pluck the strings of these notes I hear no difference with the other notes. It has to come from the hamers. I know of course the voicing will help it but the difference with the rest of the piano is too big . So because I never had this before I would like to know if anybody have similiar experiences with these 'Abel' hamers. I asked medium hardness felt.

  Thanks,

  Stephan Van Meirhaeghe