Hardman Peck

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 25 03:08:21 MDT 2008

Shawn,

as Andrew mentioned: check Wendl & Lung (or Hailun). Very nice Chinese pianos.

I am a tech and Wendl & Lung dealer from Germany. I opened my store 13 month ago. 3 days a week I sit in the store and 3 days I am in field service. I offer used pianos (right now 12 uprights) and the W&L instruments. For me that concept works. At least until now. I am not shure what that wall street trouble will bring the next months. I would not like to be only a dealer with different brands and only new pianos. That would be a too big financial risk for me. I am shure that you could sell a new piano at times when you are out in the field and people know your face and your skills. That might work even better than a huge piano store with salesmen who can´t play or tune. That´s what I call the boilersuit bonus.

I am not shure if you can get Wendl & Lung in the USA, but Hailun are available. I am not shure about the differences between the 2 brands. The pianos are in principle identical. But when it´s labled W&L you can be shure that this piano has gotten the final quality check by a W&L trained tech. E.g., all W&L pianos that come to Germany are checked, tuned and voiced by a German tech who works for W&L. The same situation in all other countries where W&L pianos are sold.   I guess it´s mainly the very good voicing that makes the difference. When the pianos arrive at my store, they are nearly ready to be sold. Even the tuning is fine for the next weeks. And the brand name has a good reputation, at least here in Europe.

Gregor
www.weldert.de