Jack Flanges

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 25 08:25:28 MDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net>wrote:

>   Yeah, I thought about the damper spoons after I sent the e-mail. Would
> A0 and A#0 work?
>
> *TODD PIANO WORKS*
> Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
> (979) 248-9578
> http://www.toddpianoworks.com
>

> --- On *Sat, 10/25/08, Bruce Browning - The Piano Tuner <
> justpianos at our.net.au>* wrote:
>
> From: Bruce Browning - The Piano Tuner <justpianos at our.net.au>
> Subject: Re: Jack Flanges
> To: toddpianoworks at att.net, "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
> Date: Saturday, October 25, 2008, 5:15 AM
>

> Matthew,
> The nwhippen has a notch for the flange to sit down in. Remove the old
> flange with alcohol and then compare.
> B87 & C88 will not have damper spoons.
> Bruce Browning
> The Piano Tuner
>

> >I put it next to the original flange, and
> > you can see quite a difference.
> >
> > Help please.
> >
> > These
> > "broken keys" are in the center of the keyboard on my clients
> piano, so
> > I will be stopping by next week and swapping the whippens from B87 and
> > C88, so at least the piano will be playable until I get this issue
> > resolved.

Hi Matt,

I don't want to be unkind but you do tend to over think what should be a
simple and straight forward repair.
As many others have said, the whippen flange, when fitted into the
saddle/slot made for it, will probably fit more snugly, if not a good gap
filling glue such as Titebond yellow glue will do the trick.

For your further edification the action you are working on IS a compact
action. Not in the traditional sense but it is not a full size action
either, it's a copy of a Schwander action and smaller than a full size
action but then most Schwander-type vertical actions, with some notable
exceptions are, IMHO and experience. The Baldwin "stealth" vertical action
being one. Samick used to make some full size ones in their 48" studios, I
don't know if they still do or not.

Mike

--
If you can actually count your money, then you are not really a rich man.
J. Paul Getty

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404