Contiguous Major Thirds Accuracy?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Oct 26 08:10:54 MST 2008

"I stand (sit) corrected, and gladly. You are of course right: no tuning is ever finished, just left behind. The tectonic plate shift of a tuning is about as predictable as the geologic ones. All one can do is apply one's skill set to the circumstances and aim high!"

Ron and Paul, I've enjoyed those comments!  They say more elegantly what I was driving at in my reply to David's original post.  David had said "I am never sure that each note is exactly where it ought to be" Indeed. We can never be sure that a note is where it ought to be, for we cannot know where that is!

I came up with a definition of tuning, which I sometimews use when customers ask about it:  "It's part arithmetic and part flower-arranging".

I really love "no tuning is ever finished, just left behind"!

Best regards,

David.