Contiguous Major Thirds Accuracy?

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 04:34:59 MST 2008

Thank you all for the replies, including the entertaining ones.

I sometimes think the difference between a good piano tuning and a poor one
is the same difference between a good haircut and a poor one ... a couple of
weeks.

I was hoping some "hybrid" tuner had measured how accurately they can set
the thirds aurally by checking with an ETD. I have not found it in the
archives.

D.L:

Yes if there is a problem with the original CM3's it will show up as more
notes are tuned. Then the question arises as to which third (or both) is
wrong or is the problem due to a difficult break?

J.F:

You mention the importance of identical octave widths when tuning CM3's.
Would this mean that if octave widths are tuned differently to compromise
for a challenging break, that CM3's cannot be used?

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.