Contiguous Major Thirds Accuracy?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 27 17:10:30 MST 2008

When I did this I set a two octave temperament: A2 - A4.  I tuned the two
octaves (plus the double octave) the way I thought they needed to be tuned
to sound clean usually a 4:2 octave from A3 - A4 slightly wide and a 6:3
octave A2 - A3 slightly whatever I needed to get the A2 - A4 double octave
clean but slightly wide.  I never thought about it exactly, just did it
until I was satisfied.  Then I filled in the bearings of contiguous thirds
and played around with the four notes (2 C#s and 2 Fs) until they all
sounded like 4:5 ratios.  It was more of a feel thing than an effort to
count it.  This is art stuff, closeyoureyesandlistenlettheforcebewithyou.
As you fill in the rest of the temperament you may run into a problem
catching it with your various checks and have to fudge things a little.
Depending on what you find you can figure out which note, notes or sometimes
the width of the octave that needs to be changed.  To be honest, that's why
I went to using a machine, at least to set temperaments.  So much easier,
faster and probably more consistent.  I spent too much time playing around
with it to get it just so and the machine was just more efficient.  I still
use checks as I tune the octaves going out from the center and I think
that's important because many (if not most) pianos will require some
modifications to the calculated tuning curve somewhere.  It's important to
catch those, I think, so I throw in few quick checks as I'm going but
they're all things I can reach with one hand (fortunately, I can easily
reach a tenth).  Best of both worlds, as I see it.  This has been discussed
endlessly on the list and I would search the archives thoroughly going back
several years as people have outlined their specific methods for both aural
and combo styles.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com