trimming new keytops

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 29 14:27:51 MST 2008

Shawn-

Those keytops are hard, and take longer to file than other brands, but it's worth it for the result.

Imagine for a moment what it will cost you if you overcut just one of the keytops, and you will se the value of patience in this job.

Glue some Tri-X sandpaper onto 1/4 inch plywood paddles, about 3 inches wide. Make sure the paper is glued down tight and flat.  Make sure it comes right to the edge of the wood, and doesn't overlap the edge.
Make100 grit for fast cutting and 200 grit for finishing. The broad, flat paddles will prevent gouging and curving in on the sides, which can happen with a narrow file.

Use a bench vise to hold the key. Glue action cloth to the vise jaw so it doesn't scratch the keytops.

Clamp the key in the vise, with the keytop against the jaw and the side you're filing almost flush with the tops of the jaws. Hold the file almost parallel to the side of the key. Make 2 or 3 passes and check your progress. Soon you'll be able to feel the moment when the paddle is just starting to scrape the wood.

Dealing with the notch is hard to describe in writing. After filing, I often use a very sharp knife to trim the corner of the notch.

(Don't use a router. It's a very dangerous tool, and you don't get a second chance.)

Ed Sutton