[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 18:08:14 MDT 2009

As an aural tuner, my criteria:
For concert tunings, if it's more than 2-3 cents, it really needs a pitch
raise. Otherwise, you'll be constantly wrestling with it. Even at 2 cents
difference, I make judgments as to where I think the piano will end up as
unisons are tuned. For example, I might tune the middle string of an octave
intentionally sharp so that it will drop to the right place as everything
else is tuned.

For non-concert tunings, I can usually make things work if it's within 8
cents.  But it really depends on the customer. If they are wanting accuracy
over cost, and are willing to pay for a pitch correction, it will certainly
result in a better tuning. If the customer is willing to settle for less
accuracy to save money, I'll do the best I can in one pass.

Perhaps an ETD will result in a better end result with a single pass, tuning
unisons as you go. But even with an ETD, two passes are better. With either
method, your own experience will become your best teacher. As you observe
how many different pianos react to pitch corrections, you'll get better at
predicting that reaction. And you'll know what you are capable of. It's a
guessing game, but you get better at it the more you do it. It's also kind
of fun, in a sick tuner sort of way. :-)

--
JF