[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 1 19:29:00 MDT 2009

For every n technicians there will exist n+1  opinions about pitch raising.

The more you tune, the more you will know what your tunings will do, and the more you will know what different pianos will do. And then you will still be surprised once in a while.

My first rule is to leave every piano in tune, at A-440. In the Pacific NW, we can get away with that much better than in some regions. Using RCT, I can tune most pianos to pitch in one pass with less than a dozen touch-ups if the piano is less than 30 cents off. Anything more than that gets a flat fee for a pitch raise, and I expect to make two full passes.

Customers have no problem paying more money for more work. I find many feel guilty about waiting so long and expect to pay extra.

I do recommend tuning a pitch-raised piano sooner than normal. I have found pianos that were more than 50 cents flat close to being in tune and at pitch after two years. I might really be that good, or it might have been the phase of the moon when they cut the tree.

Dave Stocker,
Tumwater, WA