[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

Nina Lesher lesher at dejazzd.com
Sat Aug 1 19:32:52 MDT 2009

On Aug 1, 2009, at 7:27 PM, Rob McCall wrote:

> My question to all of you...  What do you use as your criteria for
> charging extra for pitch raises?

Rob,

I do a pitch-raising pass every tuning, no matter.

I charge extra when the scale is so far flat that the overpull
required exceeds the limits set in RCT.  I use the defaults.   In
these cases, one pass won't hack it.  The treble (primarily) will
still be considerably flat.   Since an extra (pitch-raising) pass is
required, more time and money are too.  I find that the threshold to
be between 50 and 75 cents typically.

Some other criteria I use, regardless of pitch-raise necessity:

Pre-1930 uprights:  extra

Pneumatic pre-1930 players:   2 extras

Mirror uprights:  same as pneumatic players.

Squares:  same as Jack Wyatt:  $500.  Wait a second.   I attended one
of Mr. Wyatt's classes in Grand Rapids and I'm now home.   Make that
$600.

Cliff Lesher
Winfield, PA